Thursday, October 29, 2009

Wouldn't it be lovely?

Today, as I gathered my usual array of cleaning supplies, I realized something I had just done - stepped only close enough to the "rag" closet to be able to lean way over, open the door, and stretch just a little bit more to retrieve a rag...

Why?

Well, because when I took this job(nearly 3 yrs. ago), Witney had mentioned that I should be aware she had seen a mouse in that closet...once.
It just makes sense that 3 yrs. later I realize this is how I've ALWAYS approached this closet, regardless of never having seen a mouse myself...right?

It's ironic really.
How many times do we receive warnings about this or that growing up?
If you think about it, the only ones we really heed are the ones we fear. We don't even have to have seen or been through certain things, but we can still fear and avoid them.

Kinda got me thinking...wouldn't it be lovely if we had a real fear of sin? How different would this world be...?

5 comments:

Sam said...

I believe we can. Proverbs 8:13 says the fear of the Lord is to hate evil. Genesis 39:9 also says that Joseph told his temptress, "How can I do this great evil and sin against God?" He was afraid to sin against God. This fear of sin and the fear of the Lord - it's developed. We're born with an insatiable appetite for sin. We can only fear sin with God's help. (By fearing sin I mean not that we are actually afraid of sin itself, but afraid of committing a sin against God.) Check out Psalm 34:11; 86:11!

Alanna said...

Yes...may God help us to love what (who) He loves and hate what He hates.

Melissa Phelps said...

Hmmm... deep. And stuff.

TKB said...

Sam: I'm w/you on both believing that we can, and that it's learned. I would say that I can def. point to various things in my life that have given me a (healthy) fear of sin, and I'm learning more as I'm in Bible college.

My intent was to generalize about the world in its entirety, thinking about the effect of all humanity actually fearing sin...not only (hopefully) the Christians.

Ike said...

Good illustration, my friend.
And deep, yes.