Thursday, June 11, 2009

On the prowl...

I've been reading. Yep...just for fun. So nice to be picking up books just because I can, but its funny you know since college, my reading style has changed so much!

Pre-college I devoured "Christian romance" novels -- wow -- things sure have changed!

I actually planned to "get back into them" this summer for the singular reason of doing some "mindless" reading. Now don't get me wrong...I am NOT trying to knock anyone that reads, and enjoys reading, these books. I have just realized that they no longer hold my attention, and I feel like I'm just treading water w/them.
I don't feel like I benefit, in any way, another words.

I know that many people can truly relax and unwind w/a good Lori Wick or the like, but after having picked one up this summer, I became so easily distracted I thought I'd never get through the book! Almost drove me crazy! To say the least it was not relaxing.
Also, school has me very programmed to analyze what I'm reading, and I really don't enjoy analyzing Lori Wick. (Besides, to be honest, it does absolutely nothing positive for " ...therewith to be content." Phil. 4:11b)

So I've decided to try a new tactic -- reading for depth.

In my mind this does not mean, I'm limiting myself to only Christian written bestsellers. I am simply trying to make the books I read count, in some way, in my own life.
I want to learn from them, be challenged by them, and also expand my understanding of the faith I live by because of them.
(I do fully intend to throw in a Foxtrot comic every once in awhile though -- but who ever said you can't learn from Foxtrot anyway?)

I don't have some finalized list of books to read for this summer, but I have stumbled onto a couple good ones already, and I'm on the prowl for more. This week I've read:

*What Christians Believe, by C. S. Lewis -- amazing break down of the core of Christianity.

I read this partly for my own benefit, and partly because I enjoy C. S. Lewis, but I read it mostly because I'm seeking to best explain some of the questions one of my employers asks, and I was thinking about giving it to her to read.

*The Five People You Meet In Heaven, by Mitch Albom -- I thoroughly enjoyed this one!



Though obviously not in alignment with the Biblical description of Heaven, I found it thought provoking none the less. So many thoughts came to mind after reading this book. Here are a few questions it brought to mind...
~Who have you personally affected in a life-changing manor?
~Have you helped alter the direction of a life in any way?
~Thinking of the spiritual, have you allowed your words, thoughts, and deeds (your life in general) to be used of God for this purpose?
~Upon reaching Heaven, how many will be there because you were willing to be God's tool...?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think I may start A Child Called 'It' tonight, not sure, still deciding what's next. Let me know if you have any suggestions on a good read, no promises, but I'm interested in ideas!

8 comments:

That Girl In Switzerland said...

Great post, Tiff! I'm glad to hear you've lost interest in the sordid genre "Christian romance" and are now reading more thought-provoking books. (I used to read them too, and voraciously, and sadly enough, I own a great many of them, but realized that I wasn't making myself a better person by reading them, only becoming obsessed with romance and the perfect man, which doesn't actually exist anyway... LOL)

Anyway, here are a few books that I am currently reading, plan on reading, or have just finished reading. All of them are great, so look for them if you want:

1. "The Reason for God" by Timothy Keller. A very readable apologia of the Christian faith - published just last year - might really help you answer those questions your boss has. The first half deals with skepticism and doubt, major arguments against Christianity, etc...And the second half deals with reasons and arguments for Christianity...very interesting way to set up a book. I think you'd really like it.

2. "Heretics" by G.K. Chesterton - have only just started this one...deeper reading, but good. A look at taking a firm stand for what you believe.

3. "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini - moving novel of betrayal and redemption from 1970's Afghanistan...I cried a good bit. Prepare yourself with tissues.

4. "The Winter King" by Bernard Cornwell - a novel about Arthur and Britain from a slightly different viewpoint. May be more up N's alley. But I really enjoyed it...maybe you will too.

Anyway, will add more as I think of them. Love you!

TKB said...

Glad you liked it! Thanks for the suggestions -- they sound interesting and I plan on looking for some of them. Hope life's going well for ya -- love you too! Take care...

-Tiff

Alanna said...

Hey Tiff,

Just thought I'd let you know what I've been reading...

I just finished The Wheel on the School by Meindert DeJong. I picked it up for hardly anything at the GBS Library. It is a Newberry Honor Book written in the 1950s. Just a cute book about a class of kids wondering why the storks fly over their island but never nest there. Ok - so its not deep reading, but it had good little truths tucked inside! :)

I'm now reading Completely His - Loving Jesus without Limits by Shannon Ethridge. This has been thought-provoking as she talks about how Jesus is our bridegroom and we are his bride. Good stuff!

And I agree with you about the Christian Romance novels - you read one and then ask, Why did I spend so much time reading that? I do enjoy Karen Kingsbury...her books seem more realistic...but even then its been awhile since i've read her. I really want to read some classics like Pride and Prejudice and Oliver Twist...

Anyway...this is one long comment!! And we should get together...I want to find where the Coffee Emporium is in Hyde Park! :) So, yeah, you should show me! ;)

Megobuddy said...

Well, I guess I'll put my two-cents in. ;)

I've read A Child Called 'It' and it was definitely an eye-opening read. Obviously it's not something you read for entertainment, but very good to gain a better understanding of child abuse. I must warn you though, reader discretion advised.

Currently I'm reader an Agatha Christie novel. Never read one before and I do love mystery novels. It's neat because there is quite a bit of French strewn throughout the book. I'm finally putting the French I learned in high school to use!

I also plan on reading Animal Farm. It's something most people read in high school but I never did. Thought I'd read it so I can say that I've read it.

I also need to read a C.S. Lewis book this summer. I've never read anything of his. I know, I know, don't go haywire. Mel let me borrow one of her books for the plane ride to Ireland but I never started it. Forgot to return it to her so I think I will read whichever one she lent me.

Well, have fun reading!

TKB said...

Alanna: Thanks for the suggestions, gonna look into them! I, myself, love kids/teens books, and there are several that I thought about rereading this summer. :D Oh, and I too want to read some classics this summer -- I was thinking maybe Oliver Twist and Dracula. ;D All these kids are getting so into Twilight and it makes me want to read something that might actually be "good" (a.k.a well-written).

And yes, we def. need to get together! Do you have set days off, or do you have a floating schedule? I'll be out of town for the 15th-21st, but maybe once I get back we could do something. Coffee Emporium would be fun!

Megan: Thanks for the warning on A Child Called 'It' but it came too late -- I finished the book this afternoon. I see what you meant, it's not exactly a light-hearted read huh? I could put it down though, because if I did I felt like David was just trapped in w/e state I'd left him in...had to finish it quickly. Now I'd like to read the sequels that he's written about the rest of his life...the more encouraging parts.

Nichole likes Agatha Christie, I believe that Ten Little Indians is her fav, though I'm not positive. And to be honest, I've never heard of Animal Farm, so let me know how it is. Oh! And if you're at all into Sci Fi stuff, might I suggest that you read The Chronicles of Narnia? That's what I started w/of Lewis, and I don't think its a bad place to start. ;)

Brittany said...

DON"T READ A CHILD CALLED IT!!! Bad, stinky, rotten, horrible, sad, true, welcome to the real world book. IT is not a happy book thus it should not be read. Ok so that's not really the philosophy I live by but it sounds good for now. Anyway, I just got an image of nerds in a coffee shop on their little laptops and I don't like that feeling so I'll ttyl.

Brittany said...

Yes, read Oliver Twist. It's a good book and I just may have gotten it this yr from some fine friend. =)

TKB said...

Too late Britt. And you're right...it is sad, and horrible, but its probably a good thing that story was told.

And are you in a coffee shop w/a laptop or what? Sorry I didn't get to my phone earlier. I didn't get the message until just a few min. ago...figure you'd be in bed. Anyway, I'll catch up w/you tomorrow. Nite!