Sunday, September 13, 2009

I finally got new contacts

along with several other odds and ends I needed(including, but not limited to, Skittles). I also bought new dry erase markers, but they weren't the kind I wanted. Oh well, I didn't feel like checking more than two stores...

So I finally snapped a few pics of my cousin, Ashley. I also got some of her and Joc, then a couple with them and their roomie, Stephanie.
I'm not gonna load all the pics on here, but here are a couple, and you can see the rest at: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=155885&id=526240420&l=94b0288cdb





















Anyway, school seems to be going well thus far, but really it's hard to say because it's not like we're all that far into it. We've had several fun moments and events already though. Friday night we had the GBS Got Talent show, and that was a blast!
I laughed so hard that night, but I was also struck with the fact that in amongst our funny songs, poems, and "mad skills" we are privileged enough to hear things such as kids singing music that praised God, and kids simply sharing a Scripture reading. We are so blessed to be able to live our faith out in every day life without fear imprisonment, or other forms of persecution! I hope we never forget to be thankful for that.

Along with classes, revival, and the activities of campus connection month, we finally had our first meeting(since returning to school) of Main St. kids club this afternoon. I thought it went quite well. We had the good problem of too many kids and not enough snacks with us, so I had to run back to the dorm to get our back ups.
Thankfully we have a bunch of new workers this year, and I'm hoping that they'll all stay, because we're thinking about branching out from the two main streets we walk and adding a third route. We may also try to incorporate a second class during our kids service for the tweens. Not sure about that yet though.

It's a funny thing, working with kids...especially inner city kids. I can't put into words how much I love each one, and want to see them allow Christ to be their Savior. I missed these kids over the summer. They challenge me, and test me, but I know I need it. They've taught me so much this past year, and I'm excited to see what they have in store for me this year.
My favorite part of kids club is walking to pick them up, and then walking them home. This is because it's when I get to interact with them on a personal level. I get to become a friend to them. We chat, and laugh, and even play tag(which totally wears me out) on those routes, but it's then that I feel the most connected to them, when I'm in their neighborhood, walking their streets, going into their homes.
It's then that I see how important what we do is, and how important it is to show them that they can change their future. I just can't get away from how much God loves them. I pray that this year I can be a better example of His love for them.

Here's hoping you're all doing well, and enjoying God's goodness!

1 comments:

Alanna said...

Loved reading about Main St. I have so many fond memories there...thanks for all you do for the kids!