Saturday, March 12, 2011

Put on a little moisturizer...

This morning my sister and I hosted another one of our Saturday breakfast/devotional gatherings. Nichole had decided to try something new for breakfast, so of course I staggered out of my bedroom to begin my morning in a mild haze of smoke...she'd already burnt something. See Nichole has this theory, if you're in a hurry when cooking...put it on high. *sigh* Thankfully it was just a trial run she'd been doing on some stove top hash-browns with sketchy directions, so nothing was lost and it all actually turned out to be quite delicious. The end result was actually breakfast pizza, but all the various ingredients had to have a little prep work done before the final oven baking ensued. (I'm excited! There's leftovers!)

Amanda was the first to show up, followed shortly by Sonia, then finally RaeLynn and Christianna joined us. Once the gang was all there we enjoyed a little chit-chat with our breakfast, then began with praises and prayer requests. If you should happen to need things to pray about, apparently most of us are focused on finishing out the semester without failing anything, simply getting through it, and hopefully caring a little more about what we've got to do than we did today. Oh the prayers for passion about something that you're just burnt out on! Sometimes it's just sooo hard to care. Thankfully God understands this.

Anyway, once we finished with this part of our morning it was time for the devotional. I had asked Amanda to share with us this morning and she had graciously complied with my request. Being the teacherly-minded person she is, she came prepared with a lesson plan complete with a visual to represent each point. The whole thing was super cute and she just did a fantastic job putting it together. The lesson was entitled Beautiful Woman In Christ (by Julia Bettencourt). I won't try to give you the whole thing, but the idea behind it was a comparison of beauty products for the physical body and the same idea behind those products for the spiritual body.
For example: Amanda had foundation with a label that read, "Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee." (Psa 119:11) Then the application she put on it was, we need to start with a good foundation and what is better than the Word of God? If we have the Word of God in our hearts the rest of our spiritual make-up can be easily applied.

I really thought the whole thing came together quite nicely and I loved the idea behind it. It was a great reminder that sometimes we get so caught up in the physical appearance, but there are just as many ways we need to take care of our spiritual selves and these are far more important to God. I hope these will serve as a reminder to myself and the girls that have heard it, and that we can share the ideas behind it with other ladies in our lives. We all impact someone, let's work to use this impact to share God's beauty and desire for our own spiritual beauty!

I didn't know if anyone that read this would want to see the whole lesson, but here's the link to the website: Beautiful Woman In Christ (by Julia Bettencourt)

0 comments: