Tuesday, January 23, 2007

What Really Amazes Me

What really amazes me, is the ability of something so small and meaningless, some action, word, or sound, to do, create, or make you think, new things.
Tonight I came as close to going to Africa as I have in my whole life. And I did it while working in a kitchen, standing behind a counter, serving people dinner. (we were serving spaghetti) How you ask did this take me to Africa? It was because Kadreah, the girl I was serving with, who is from Africa was banging on the counter. Yeah, banging on the counter. Kadreah is a drummer, (and a good one I might add) and she was pounding away on the poor defenceless metal counter all night long. At first I just listened, then I founded my head bouncing along with the beat. Soon it was all I could do to keep my hands from banging or snapping or clapping along. (However since I have a poor sense of rhythm I managed to refrain.)
Whenever the line slowed and I got a chance, I would sit down. But not Kadreah, she stood all night long and gave that counter what-for. I found myself staring off into space, and imagining Africa. Granted all I have to go on is TV documentaries and such, but a picture was forming in my head to coincide with the drumming. It's amazing how much a metal counter can sound like a set of drums under the right hands.
I saw the faces of Africa before me, tall, proud warriors, dark, smooth skinned women, young, lively children. Africa was as close and closer than it's ever been. And all thanks to someone pounding away on a metal counter top. Isn't that amazing?

1 comments:

TKB said...

I know just what ya mean, sis...