Saturday, January 20, 2007

Why I love comics...


I went to a huge book store today, and had an absolute blast. They only have used books there, but they have close to anything you can imagine. Mainly really old stuff, but they do have some newish things. Anyhoo' some of my friends, and myself went there to kill some time.
OK, so we started on the third floor of this building, which isn't like a modern bookstore, it's this old building that might have been an apartment building or something. Anyway, to go from floor to floor, you have to go out into these stairwells that give the feeling of walking up the stairs in a parking garage or something like that. The stairs are iron, as are the rails, and the lighting in the stairwells isn't so great. This all lends you to a very unique feeling. It's just not a typical bookstore aura.
So, we decided to start at the top, and work our way back down. We opened that third floor door, to be met with that wonderful smell of old books. I love that smell. There's just somethings that leave their mark on a person, and maybe I'm just weird, but smells are something that affect me. It's like the way my grandma's house smells, it just comforting. Anyway, it was exhilarating! So, we pretty much just split up, and headed towards whatever section seemed to call to each one of us. I ended up in the poetry, and classics. I found Shakespeare, Chaucer, Sir Walter Scott, T. S. Elliot, Robert Louis Stevenson, Mark Twain, and so many others. *sigh* I could have stayed there all day. I remember looking at the date on one book, and it was 1856. I can't recall now which one that was, but I just love knowing that these books have been around for so long. Just think of what they've seen. I almost bought a copy of The Lady of the Lake, which I've yet to read, but my sis said she has it, so I figured I'd wait. Although we did find a Brit. Lit. book that has most of the stories our Brit. Lit. class will be reading, and since the teacher said he's OK with us using different books to read the stories, well...we bought it. Five dollars for that, vs. seventy-two something for the textbook seems like a no-brainer.
Now, on to what made my day. I was able to relive my childhood...which I have yet to grow out of entirely, actually. I spent at least an hour looking through the old comic that the had. They were amazing to me. Who wouldn't be willing to pay between fifty-cent, to maybe two dollars, for so classic comics? OK, most people probably couldn't care less...I understand this, but it saddens me to acknowledge this kind of lost appreciation in our world.
I always loved the super hero stories. I think it's because in their world, anything is possible...good guys really do triumph, the impossible is made possible, the underdog comes out on top. That has always been me. The underdog. I used to pretend that I too was a super hero, and in my mind, I always, always helped those that were looked down on. Those that weren't good enough, pretty enough, smart enough, strong enough, and so many other things. I always knew what to do to fix things. I could do the impossible, and nothing would stop me. Comics, well, for me...they're not just fun to read, which they are, but they end up being more. I guess this is where they symbolize sooo much for me. It's a life that I sometimes wish I had.
I've always been a fan of Marvel and DC comics, but my personal favorite good guy was Superman. He was my idea of a hero. I knew how to take care of people, and his normal life was anything but perfect. He was actually kind of a dork, but when he became Superman, well things always worked out for him. So, just a little secret about me. If you see me wearing a Superman t-shirt...it's not just because I like him, or the shirt.(It's cause I'm looking for my Superman...no, not really) Occasionally that may be the case, but usually it's because I'm really struggling with something, and wearing that is a strange comfort to me. It reminds me that I am strong, and that I can make it through tough stuff, because I already have, and God hasn't let me down yet...
OK, so now you know that I love comics. I ended up finding a Supergirl comic(that's the pic), which I of course bought. Then I got about eight others, about various heroes...

0 comments: