Saturday, November 29, 2008

The Right Focus

Today, as I was returning from a trip to Indy, I realized something...my Dad should have been a NASCAR driver.
I realized this as I tried to keep pace with him on the highway.

Having joined the family in a quick visit to my aunt's house, we were now headed back to Cincy at this point.
I had come another route and had no clue how to get back from their house, so I was following...this is never the ideal place to be with Dad.

Several months ago I took it upon myself to become a (mostly)law abiding citizen and follow the speed limit at all times(this was due to a certain infraction of this new chosen lifestyle that will remain undisclosed).

Now I found myself faced with the options of flooring it to keep up or, making Indiana my new home. I tried the whole "middle ground" thing and would keep him within view. This didn't work either though, due to his constantly changing lanes. Cruise control was definitely not an option!

Finally we managed to get a semi normal pace and make it home, but as this all was unfolding, God created a metaphor for me.

Every time my Dad got out of sight I became alarmed, thinking I was lost. I wouldn't make it, I couldn't do this on my own...

...then, I would get my eyes back on him
and my world once again was right. I knew I was safe, and not on my own.

In fact, every now and again, when I could no longer see him,
I would get a telephone call asking me how far back I was.
They were checking up on me...


How much more does this apply to my life with my Heavenly Father...?
He's had to call to check up on me so many times.

And what about when I'm afraid that I've taken a wrong turn, and won't be able to correct my mistake?
He's always waiting with the directions I need.

God is such a good Heavenly Father, and He never fails to remind me of that...

I long to have God be my true focus, to make Him the only one I worry about keeping in view.

1 comments:

Heidi said...

Aww...I love this. I love when God gives me pictures of who He is. I need them. He is so faithful and takes such good care of me. Always. He's such a good Friend.