Thursday, December 18, 2008

A moment for reflection...

Today God reminded me of who He is. I was at one of the houses I clean and I had been talking to Him for about three hrs. off and on while I thought about my life and the many things surrounding it.
I kept wondering how God could ever use me. What if my hurts, fears, short comings, and so many other things started to overcome me...would I be strong enough?

That's when God decided I needed a visual. OK, maybe God didn't cause this to happen but He certainly used it.
As I was vacuuming in the family room I heard a loud bang on the window behind me. In reaction I jumped, and turned just in time to see the bushes outside the window moving. I walked across the floor and started trying to locate whatever had hit the window. I finally found it...it was a tiny sparrow.

I immediately had a sick feeling in my gut. Oh no-it's dead. As I stood, with my nose pressed to the glass trying to get a closer look, it started to breathe. Thank goodness! It wasn't dead...at this point.
Then I realized I couldn't really do anything, and if it couldn't fly it was as good as dead. For whatever reason I began to pray. "God, You remember that verse in the Bible that says You know even when a sparrow falls...well this one did, please help it.

God kept pricking my mind with, "How much more do I know and love you than this little bird?"

I stood watching, the little sparrow opened its eyes and started blinking. I kept praying, begging God to help it fly away. Knowing this was an inner struggle more for myself than for the bird. Would God come through? Would He supply the strength?

As I looked on it just lay perfectly still, not moving at all other than to breathe. Then in a split second I saw it rise off the ground almost effortlessly, and dart into the nearest bush.

At the exact same moment a huge hawk swept down, talons aimed exactly where the sparrow had been only a second earlier.

It all happened so fast that I didn't have time to react other than a gasp when the hawk entered the picture. After it was all done I heard my delayed cry of "NO!" hanging in the air.

Then I realized it was OK. The sparrow had escaped and all had ended well.

**********************************************************************

The sparrow had waited patiently, not trying to push itself before it was ready and able to fly, but for just the right time -- God's timing. Any earlier and it might have been to weak to take off, any later and it wouldn't have had the opportunity.

I couldn't believe what I'd just witnessed. God is so amazing. Not just because of the sparrow. Yes, that blew me away and gave me an amazing visual, but He showed me more than the ability to care for a bird.
If I will be patient, if I can let Him walk me through the hard times, the things I don't understand, I know I can come out victorious...because His strength is perfect, and He is the one and only Almighty God.

Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. But even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.
—Matthew 10:29-31

2 comments:

Alanna said...

wow! that was really neat. awesome reminder.

Megobuddy said...

Thank you for posting this Tif. I really needed the reminder.